Friday 1 May 2015

The weight is coming off!

I was at the gym yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. I have just been so busy with being on placement, pulling extra hours that I owe to make sure I can graduate on time, writing an essay and studying for an exam all at the same time while still keeping up with regular things like shopping, cooking and the occasional few hours sleep.

I was genuinely worried that I was going to have put on all the weight I had lost and then some, since you don't exactly eat well when you are working all those hours and I eat terribly anyway. I had only lost two kilograms before starting that placement but it was something and I really, really hoped I had kept it off.

I was astounded when I looked at the scales in the gym to find that not only had I kept off my two kilos, I had lost another four! I cannot tell you how happy I am right now.

I know that I am on my feet all the time at placement and that's likely the reason why, but I was still really surprised since I have always been quite active but the weight has never came off before. I have never lost a gram of weight on any of my previous placements.

I need to make sure I keep up my gym visits as much as I can. I am off for three weeks just now followed by a week in university before starting my final eighteen week placement. I hope I can keep up the good work I have been doing and try and make even more changes to my diet that will help.

I have started using my slow cooker more often (I actually have something cooking just now), this is great because it allows me to cook a whole meal while I am not even here, or when I am busy doing other things. That's helping me to eat more real food and less junk. The problem I have is when I get in from a twelve hour shift where I have been out of the house for around fifteen hours, the last thing I want to do is cook. So I usually turn to breakfast cereal or toast which are hardly nutritious foods.

If I use the slow cooker I can at least eat something half-way nutritious. I have also enjoyed experimenting with different things I can cook in the slow cooker. Maybe I am not eating new foods as such but I am starting to manage different combinations of foods I like and am finding ways to cook them in a slightly healthier way. I hope I will be able to add some new things into my slow cooker recipes, maybe a vegetable or two if I am really lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment