Saturday 18 June 2016

Back to the gym

I started back at the gym last night. It has been ages since I have been there. I got so disheartened with not losing any weight, then I took ill and it was the perfect excuse to stop going for a while.

I am getting pretty much nowhere with trying to change my diet, and absolutely nowhere with losing weight. In fact according to my scales, I have put three of the kilograms I lost back on recently. I am still under the weight I was when I first started on this journey by five kilos but putting anything back on still feels bad.

The good news is that I finally got a date for my ultrasound scan to see what is going on with this gallbladder. My bloods all came back ok so my own doctor is a little confused by the whole thing but I am sure that is what it is because sometimes when I eat I am in agony afterwords which is classic of a problem gallbladder.

What is not classic of a problem gallbladder is that the foods that set it off aren't always the same. For example on the rare occasion I go to the works canteen I will always get macaroni cheese if it is available because it's about the only hot thing I can eat that they make. I have had this at work several times since the gallbladder became a problem. Since I finished my old job off a nightshift on Sunday morning and started my new job on a dayshift Monday, I have had no time to go to the supermarket in between so have relied on the canteen this past week. For the most part this is a nightmare for me, but old faithful macaroni cheese was one of the choices on Tuesday so I got that. The pain was immediate, I hadn't even finished eating and I was in agony which lasted for three days!

I need to lose weight, I need to eat better.

I simply don't know what to do. I have even considered contacting an eating disorders charity based in the city, their website lists both SED and ARFID as disorders they are familiar with. I don't know what, if any help they could give me. There really isn't any help out there but I definitely do need help. If only I knew how to get it.

6 comments:

  1. Anything is worth trying if they talk what you consider to be sense, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would seem that you are going to have to be very strict with yourself regarding your diet and your struggle with losing weight. Getting help would be a very good idea - a little pushing from someone who knows what you're going through might be just what you need to improve your condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is finding someone who knows what I am going through. There is no research being done in the UK that I know of, other than the one PHd project that i participated in. My doctor won't refer me to anyone because she doesn't see anything as being wrong, she just thinks I am a picky eater and all I need to do is eat better and the problem will be solved. I am just going to have to work extra hard by myself.

      Delete
  3. Pasta seems quite a complex food to me. What can you eat that you like and that doesn't cause you pain? It seems that cognitive behavioural therapy MAY help some people with SED. Could you be suffering from IBD? If you have always ad that, it might be one explanation for eating only those foods that don't cause discomfort. There is a particular diet for IBD called the specific carbohydrate diet. It's hard to start off with because it's VERY restrictive and with the strictest form, you also have to make your own yogurt. The main starter foods are roast chicken (no fried foods) and pureed carrots. Hope it improves for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote a big long reply to this comment but not sure if it went through because I can't see it anymore. IBS seems to be the only diagnosis I am ever going to get, even although it doesn't really fit with my symptoms.

      Delete